President Donald Trump trails a generic Democrat by 8 points in his bid to win reelection in 2020 and a second term, according to the latest Politico/Morning Consult poll.
The results among registered voters, according to the survey:
- Generic Democrat: 44 percent.
- Trump: 36 percent.
- Undecided: 20 percent.
The breakdown of a few of the demographics:
- Female voters: 49 percent for the Democrat, 32 percent for Trump.
- Men: 41 percent for Trump, 39 percent for Democrat.
- Baby Boomers: 44 percent for Trump, 40 percent for Democrat.
- White voters: 42 percent for Trump, 39 percent for Democrat.
- Evangelicals: 52 percent for Trump, 30 percent for Democrat.
The difference for Trump, right at the 8-point margin, is with independent voters, 36 percent of whom would vote for the Democrat vs. 28 percent who would vote for Trump, according to the survey.
For Republicans, Trump is still the best candidate to put up in 2020, according to the survey. A generic Republican trails a generic Democrat by 13 points, 40 percent to 27 percent, according to the survey.
To that end, Trump leads Vice President Mike Pence by 11 points, 34 percent to 23 percent.
Further, just 38 percent of Republicans would like to see Trump challenged in a primary vs. 50 percent who don’t want to see him challenged.
Overall, Trump’s approval rating is at 44 percent, with a 52 percent disapproval.
The Politico/Morning Consult poll was conducted May 17-19, surveying 1,990 registered voters. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 2 percentage points.
Read on newsMAX