Kirstjen Nielsen is in “an impossible, no-win situation” as the Department of Homeland Security chief, frequently the target of President Donald Trump’s rage with every ebb and flow of negative border metrics, The Washington Post reported.
It’s a perfect storm of imperfections – real and perceived – that frequently puts Nielsen squarely in the crosshairs of the commander-in-chief, the Post reported.
According to the Post:
- Trump sees Nielsen as a George W. Bush Republican – the worst kind.
- Given her relationship to chief of staff John Kelly, she has scant allies in the White House as his influence continues to wane.
- She’s in charge of Trump’s No. 1 issue that got him elected – illegal immigration.
- Her inexperience leading a massive federal agency combined with Trump’s ignorance about how agencies work is a tinderbox; Nielsen just can’t “close the border” because Trump demands it.
- Nielsen’s policies have no power over migration patterns of illegals trying to cross the border.
- Trump blames Nielsen for the lack of money to build the border wall despite the fact she had nothing to do with the omnibus spending bill he signed.
Worse, Nielsen’s name was the only one Kelly gave the president to replace him at DHS when he was tapped to become chief of staff.
“The president has a very rudimentary understanding of what the border is all about and how you secure it,” a former DHS staffer told the Post. “And (Nielsen’s) also not one of the border fire-eaters that have his ear right now. She’s in an impossible, no-win situation.”
Despite putting the best face on it, it’s not clear how much longer Nielsen will last in Trump’s administration, the Post reported.
Read on newsMAX