Michael Cohen, who was President Donald Trump’s longtime personal lawyer, is likely preparing to cooperate with federal prosecutors once he is dropped by the law firm that has been representing him, ABC News reports.
Cohen, whose office and home were raided in April, has been represented by Ryan and Todd Harrison of McDermott, Will & Emery LLP. Both ABC and The Wall Street Journal reported Weednesday that the firm will cease representing Cohen after a review of the documents seized has been completed. Federal Judge Kimba Woods set a Friday deadline for that task.
Investigators seized 3.7 million records in the raid, which Cohen’s defense team argued he should have the first look at. Instead, the judge appointed former federal judge Barbara Jones as a “special master” who could examine the materials to resolve any disputes over attorney client privilege.
According to the Journal, Cohen is looking for a federal criminal lawyer in New York, preferably one with close connections to the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office. While the Journal’s sources report that Cohen has not decided whether to cooperate, ABC reports that he will.
A source told the New York Daily News that Cohen is “very stressed out” about a potential indictment, and that “none of it is good.”
Rudy Giuliani, another member of Trump’s legal team, said last month that Cohen was no longer representing Trump.
“It would be a conflict right now for him to be the president’s attorney,” Giuliani said on ABC’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos.”
Read on newsMAX