A plurality of Republicans think President Donald Trump should have the power to close down media outlets, according to the Daily Best, citing an Ipsos poll “provided exclusively” to it.
The results, according to the Daily Beast, which provided no link, data or survey methods:
“43 percent of self-identified Republicans said that they believed ‘the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.'”
- 36 percent of Republicans disagreed with the statement
- 48 percent of Republicans said the media is the enemy of the people
- 28 percent of Republicans disagreed with the statement
- 79 percent of Republicans think the media treats Trump unfairly
Further, 23 percent of Republicans think Trump should shut down CNN, The New York Times and The Washington Post, while 49 percent disagreed, according to the Daily Beast.
More results, according to the Daily Beast:
- 21 percent of Independents think Trump should have power to shutter media outlets
- 12 percent of Democrats also think the president should have that power
- 26 percent of Independents think the media is the enemy of the people
- 12 percent of Democrats think the media is the enemy of the people
Portraying the media as the “enemy of the people” has been a popular refrain for Trump, one he rolled out again recently:
The Fake News hates me saying that they are the Enemy of the People only because they know it’s TRUE. I am providing a great service by explaining this to the American People. They purposely cause great division & distrust. They can also cause War! They are very dangerous & sick!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 5, 2018
Read on The Source