In a highly unexpected scene, a zamboni ice resurfacer burst into flames following a youth ice hockey team practice in Rochester, New York.
Mercifully, no one was injured in the incident which occurred Wednesday evening at the Bill Gray Regional Iceplex on the campus of Monroe Community College. A youth hockey team had just completed their practice before the incident.
Extraordinary eyewitness footage, shared by former college hockey player Russ Bitely, shows the moment the machine erupted in flames while sliding across the ice.
Here’s the video version. pic.twitter.com/u5zRFNIkvd
— Russ Bitely (@russbites) October 15, 2020
— Mary Prusak (@maryprusak) October 15, 2020
The fiery fiasco apparently happened after a hose on the machine broke, spilling fluid on the motor, which quickly caught fire.
Rochester Fire Department responded to the incident but the fire had already been extinguished by the time they arrived.
I’ve been saying for years, these turbo-charged Zambonis are a terrible idea.
— Paul Altmeyer (@PAltmeyer) October 15, 2020
Fire and Ice
BY ROBERT FROST
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
— John Ratnaswamy (@JohnRSports) October 15, 2020
Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!