As many probably suspected after President Trump said he’d be holding a news conference Thursday about his administration’s response to a string of unfavorable court rulings regarding reintroducing the citizenship question to the census, the president is reportedly planning to issue an executive order to reinstate the question, as he had previously promised to do.
With only months to go until the census begins, and with the census forms already being printed without the question, Trump is carrying on what has become a pet issue for his administration.
The White House will be hosting a very big and very important Social Media Summit today. Would I have become President without Social Media? Yes (probably)! At its conclusion, we will all go to the beautiful Rose Garden for a News Conference on the Census and Citizenship.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 11, 2019
NBC News reports that Trump will issue an executive order to add the citizenship question to the census. Trump told reporters on the South Lawn last week that he was “thinking about doing that.”
“It’s one of the ways,” he added. “We have four or five ways we can do it. It’s one of the ways and we’re thinking about doing it very seriously.”
This despite the fact that the Supreme Court ruled late last month that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross didn’t provide an adequate reason for why it was necessary to include the question (despite the fact that the question had been included on census forms before President Obama took it off).
The executive order also comes as two federal judges refused to let the DoJ assign a new legal team to the lawsuit that blocked the US from adding the question.
Of course, liberals – who believe the question is an attempt to cow illegals into not participating in the Census – are going to be furious, and more lawsuits to block Trump’s order are almost guaranteed.